While I don’t think the planner cover I did showcases any unique techniques, I did try out a few things I had not done before, and am pretty pleased with how they came out. I thought I’d show the process I followed while altering this cover.

I started with the cover already on the book. I was impatient. Also, I wasn’t aiming for perfection. I just wanted to cover up the existing title and give the book a ‘planner’ feel by adding some time elements.

First I painted white acrylic over the title and author areas. Then I added some turquoise paint (both MM). I remembered something about gel medium, and had never tried it before, so I just squirted a blob of it next to the teal paint blob, mixed them with the brush, and spread it out across the book. Then I grabbed my postmark stamp and inked it in black, and stamped it right in the semi-dry paint. I didn’t know what it would do, but the stamped image peeled the paint right off the cover, letting the original cover colors show through. Pretty cool!

Next I tried my cuckoo clock stamp (from StudioCalico’s Orchestra kit) using Tim Holtz’s distress ink in broken china. I knew I wanted a more distinct version of the clock, so I stamped it in red chalk ink (VersaMagic dewdrop) on white cardstock and cut it out. After giving the paint some time to dry, I tried stamping the cuckoo clock in black Staz-On ink, but the paint peeled right off. I love the effect! At this point I gave up and dried the paint with my embossing gun. Gel medium definitely keeps the paint wet longer! I added one more cuckoo in black after the paint was dry, and then added the red one on top using popup dots.

Next I made a quick mist out of water and cranberry alcohol ink, using a Mini Mister bottle, and added a big clock using Tim Holtz idea-ology mask. There was one other big rectangle postcard stamp, but I used distress ink, so it mostly ran all over the place when I misted.  The mist was pretty wet so I dried it again with my embossing gun to keep the speckled look and prevent all the misting from running together. Once dry, I added another postmark stamp using black soot. It came out great – the color is a nice, deep black.

I also prepped some cute numbers for the year while the cover cooled down a bit.

To finish up, I mounted a few of Tim Holtz’s idea-ology spinners onto a Heidi Swapp ghost clock, and added it to the cover with popup dots. To prevent the year from falling off the cover, I sealed the numbers on using Paper Glaze. I also added a bit more red with two extra Postcard stamps, and three more Postmark stamps in black soot. The back cover is still in progress! I may continue adding a bit to the front cover. If I do, I’ll be sure to post new pics. Having my own custom planner is so fun!

One last fun thing – it turns out that Pantone named Turquoise the color of the year for 2010! 

Advertisements